Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The First Excursion

Today we went to London. Whew! It was a long, but enjoyable day. We first stopped off at John Milton's cottage. There was a beautiful garden surrounding it and some neat artifacts inside. In case you don't know/remember who Milton is....poet, Areopagitica (marketplace of ideas), Paradise lost, etc. We spent a while there, then got back on coach (charter bus) and went into London. Our first stop was lunch and the British museum. Nathan Crummel, Monica and I ate at a small cafe which I don't know the name of. I got a half-pizza and salad for only £3 (roughly $5.70), which is really not bad over here. The pizza was a bit different. The pepperonis were very spicy and the put red and green bell peppers on it. The salad was ok. It had olives and something else that I'm not quite sure of on it, but I ate the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. I would have had a cheese pizza, except they are called Margarita pizzas and I didn't know that at the time, so I didn't think they had any! The museum was AMAZING! I don't know what else to say about it. There were so many ancient artifacts from all over the world. Some of the most impressive ones were stone sculptures and statues from Egypt, Rome and Greece. They also had a very impressive mummy collection. After 3 hours there, we moved on to the British Library where we saw the Gutenberg Bible, the Magna Carta, the oldest known New Testament manuscript and some Beatles songs on napkins. An interesting combination. Our bus driver then took us on a tour of London. We saw it all. I want to go back so badly now! I am considering sacrificing my Scotland weekend to take in London and Oxford. It would be more financially and time practical, but we'll see. I had a wonderful croissant and cookie on the way home. Then, I worked on some homework, now hear I sit. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was a full day. I don't have the time or energy now to write about it all! You will see pictures soon.

rvw

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger pawatson said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm sure you will be filled with thirst to see more of everything. I'm so glad you have this opportunity. Learn to ask about things you don't see on the menu - the wait staff will be full of information!

Enjoy everything for me.

Mom

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time to see new things. Just to remember to come home some time. Snickers is missing you.
Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home